February 2012- new Brian Disney album, old SMilE re-release, remembering 10 years since George's passing, REM split, grooving to the Aftermath era, some great music from friends, new Explorers Club, some old standards.
1)HEROES AND VILLAINS(Beach Boys)
2)CABIN ESSENCE (Beach Boys): SMiLE - what's 40+ years between friends...
3) WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR (Brian Wilson)
4) A DREAM IS A WISH YOUR HEART MAKES (Brian Wilson): Two classic songs given the Brian dream treatment..pity the latter wasn't on the standard album.
5) HOT GOLD (Burt Bacharach): Obscure but engaging sounds from the "After The Fox" soundtrack.
6) GRAND HOTEL (Explorers Club)
7) OPEN THE DOOR (Explorers Club): Grand Hotel is a fantastic new album showing both Brian Wilson and Bacharach influences. Title track and a heart-breaker.
8) LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDOURED THING (Four Aces): Beautiful standard, you may have heard it in "Grease" but find the original.
10) RUN OF THE MILL (George Harrison)
11) SOMEPLACE ELSE (George Harrison)
12) I DON'T WANT TO DO IT (George Harrison): Three from the quiet, underrated Beatle. Last one was actually written by Bob Dylan.
13) MISTY (Julie London): Another standard, with the wonderful voice of London.
14) AN INNOCENT LOVE (Laurie Biagini): Wonderful old-style ballad from Laurie.
15) LONG LONELY NIGHTS (Lee Andrews & The Hearts): A doo-wop beauty.
16) THE MORNING AFTER (Maureen McGovern): From the "queen of disaster" -poignant film song.
17) WATERSPOUT (Paul McCartney): Unreleased song from Paul McCartney -very good.
18) MORE I CANNOT WISH YOU (Paul McCartney)
19) MY VALENTINE(Paul McCartney): Two from Macca's new album, the Guys And Dolls standard and his own "classic" new song.
20) WE ALL GO BACK TO WHERE WE BELONG (R.E.M.): Excellent way to go out for the Georgia band- Bacharach-esque farewell
21) I AM WAITING (Rolling Stones)
22) PAINT IT BLACK (Rolling Stones): Two from the Aftermath era, "Black" was a single and on the USA version only.
23) DIDN'T GET THE MEMO (Vinnie Zummo): Lyrics by my friend, Elizabeth Racz -great pop tune with a lot of depth.