September 2009 - the theme is long-awaited like my first child - Prefab Sprout's wonderful Let's Change The World With Music and SMiLE, of course.
1) FOOT OF THE MOUNTAIN (A-ha): The Norwegians are back on the chart.
2) GOIN' TO ACAPULCO (Bob Dylan): From the Basement Tapes sessions- underrated and moving.
3) OUR PRAYER/GEE (Brian Wilson): Like the new "Prefab Sprout", there is an underlying spirituality to SMiLE.
4) WONDERFUL (Brian Wilson)
5) SONG FOR CHILDREN (Brian Wilson)
6) CHILD IS THE FATHER OF THE MAN (Brian Wilson)
7) SURF'S UP (Brian Wilson): The second movement of SMiLE with its cycle of life, birth and rebirth.
8) IN BLUE HAWAII (Brian Wilson): One of the highlights of the completed SMiLE.
9) GOOD VIBRATIONS (Brian Wilson): Of course you now this - this is the SMile version.
10) MORNING GIRL (Neon Philharmonic): Found this on a radio show that promoted the new Prefab album. Sunshine pop of the highest order.
11) HEARTS AND BONES (Paul Simon): Title track of the very underrated Paul Simon album that could have been a Simon & Garfunkel album.
12) YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE YOUR INTEREST LIES (Simon And Garfunkel): And this is an unknown B-side of the duo which foreshadows some of Simon's later music.
13) LET THERE BE MUSIC (Prefab Sprout)
14) I LOVE MUSIC (Prefab Sprout)
15) MUSIC IS A PRINCESS (Prefab Sprout)
16) SWEET GOSPEL MUSIC (Prefab Sprout): The cornerstone of the new Prefab album are the four songs about the transcendence of music.
17) GOD WATCH OVER YOU (Prefab Sprout): This was already released by Wendy Matthews and Frances Ruefelle but nice to have a Paddy version.
18) EARTH: THE STORY SO FAR (Prefab Sprout): The Gospel of Paddy.
19) LAST OF THE GREAT ROMANTICS (Prefab Sprout): The romance of Paddy.
20) ANGEL OF ASHES (Scott Walker): Was thinking of the Ashes cricket here....
21) A CHANGE IS GONNA COME (Sam Cooke): Speaks for itself.
22) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, LET ME GET WHAT I WANT �(Smiths): Morrisey's most poignant song, surely.
23) PLAY ON MAESTRO (Stephen John Kalinich and Peter Lacey ): This was a great colloboration between two people with strong Brian Wilson connections.