January 2018-Searching for pefect pop in the new year....
1) STAY ON THESE ROADS (Aha): Norwegian advice for South Africa drivers coming home after the holidays.
2) SOMEONE ELSE (1958) (Art Garfunkel): Jimmy Webb writes, Art Garfunkel sings.
3) HAPPY BIRTHDAY (TURN GOLD) (Bluebells) It's just after my 50th birthday.
4) LOVE GROWS (Edison Lighthouse): First UK#1 of the 70s.
5) CHECKING IN, CHECKING OUT (High Llamas): One of their more poppy moments.
6) MORE (THEME FROM "MONDO CANE") (Kai Winding): Some lovely instrumental pop.
7) NEED YOU NOW (Lady Antebellum): Latter day country pop classic.
8) 1900 YESTERDAY (Liz Damon & The Orient Express): Obscure but lovely country pop.
9) GIVE ME LOVE (Lucky Soul): More treasures by the B-side.
10) WHAT'S GOING ON (Marvin Gaye): What is going on?
11) LOVE IS EMOTIONAL (Neil Finn): Neil Finn is one of the best architects of the perfect song.
12) TRUE FAITH (New Order): Perfect electro-pop.
13) MIKE'S POP SONG (REM): Outtake from Automatic For The People.
14) I WILL ALWAYS (Roy Orbison): From Roy's lost album One Of The Lonely Ones .
15) DOOD'S BROW (Saint Etienne): More treasures by the EP-side.
16) TELSTAR (Tornados):Joe Meek's story is a sad one, but this song exudes optimism for a better age.
17) CALIFORNIA SON (Tripsitter): Modern sunshine pop.
18) ELENORE (Turtles): Actually an ironic song, but written as a classic pop song.
19) WALK DON'T RUN (Ventures): Classic surf pop.
20) YOUR SCHOOL (Paul McCartney/Virtual Beatles): Paul outtake done up by Beatles tribute band.
21) MAKE IT EASY ON YOURSELF (Walker Brothers): Burt Bacharach plus Hal David plus Scott Walker equals perfection.
22) SHE OPENS HEAVEN'S DOOR (Wondermints): Far more than just Brian's backing band.
23) THIS WILL BE OUR YEAR (Zombies): Indeed. Happy 2018!